KAS will be visiting the Royal West of England Academy (RWA) Bristol, Annual Open Exhibition onThursday 5th November 2015. The coach will leave the Mercure Hotel Bewdley at 8.30am and Hagley (Webb’s Garden Centre, Kidderminster Road, West Hagley) at 8.45am. Return from Bristol at 3.00pm. The cost for coach and entrance to the exhibition is £18.00 pp Deadline for booking is Saturday 31st October 2015. Please note: bookings will be confirmed by email. Cheques will not be cashed until there are sufficient numbers. Please download and complete and return the booking form. Booking form
David Spurrier Tel. 01299 896643 email: firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile 07815992766(use this on the day) ………………………………………………………………
- The tickets for the BBQ are now available. It is free for members but £5.00 for visitors. All tickets will be numbered and you must produce it on the night to get your food. Then the tickets will be put into a draw for a prize.
You can bring your own alcohol and glass on the night if you so wish. Burgers, Chicken and Sausages on the BBQ. If you require vegetarian then please see a member of the committee.
- All members who have paid their subs will receive a Hard Back Sketch Pad to commemorate the 85th Year of Kidderminster Art Society.
- Those of you who enjoy sketching and painting outdoors then you may like to join a group that meets every Thursday morning for a few hours and there are lots of lovely venues for you to visit. See the list of meetings here.
MAY – Medium of the month is PASTELS
- 7th May – Demonstration by Claire Spencer, RBSA. Do come along and support Claire, she is very talented.
- 14th May – Work night with Models, Figure Drawing. Lucy Jolly will be running this work night. There will be two models for you (Clothed) and you will need to bring along A3 drawing pad, Pencils, eraser and ruler. Please don’t bring charcoal or pastels or any paints. This night will be about the proportions of the body and how to get this accurately down on paper.
- 21st May – Work night. This week will be run by Lesley Connolly. There will be some Pastels for you to try but if you have your own then please bring them along with you.
28th May – Appraisal night with Rod Edwards. Bring along your work for appraisal. If you are new to this medium, then bring along what you have done, it does not have to be a piece of finished work, it could just be techniques and colour combinations you have tried in pastel.
May 2015 – Medium will be pastels
- 7th May Demo by Claire Spencer RBSA, PS
- 14th May Work night, Figure drawing
- 21st May Work night
- 28th May Appraisal by Rod Edwards, BA Hons
16th April – The demo by Peter Horrocks on 16th April was a great night with lots of information on using earth pigments, which peter demonstrated with great skill. His work was very different to what was expected and most people went away with lots of ideas. There are some photos on our Facebook page for you.
23rd April – Although not many members came to the sale of art material, those that did either bought something that was a bargain or sold items that they no longer wanted. We all enjoyed some nibbles and a cup of tea while having a nice evening in good company.
30th April – The Spring Trophy Night was a great success with lots of high standard entries. We all enjoyed the buffet while trying to deliberate our casting vote.
The votes were counted and the winners are:
1st …….Karen Hotchkiss
More photos on Facebook for you
Exploring the Landscape
We start the month with two work nights and a demo mid month. There will also an evening for selling those art products/books/dvd’s that you don’t want. Bring your items along clearly labelled with your name and price.
The Spring Trophy night will be the last item this month so start thinking about your best piece of work to enter from the last twelve months. If you have a table easel to display your work please bring it along. We will be having some nibbles and tea or coffee while you vote for your favourite piece of work.
There is NO appraisal this month but you can enter this months work for the trophy if you so wish.
Only those who have paid their subscriptions will be eligible to enter, so if you still haven’t paid please do so ASAP
See the programme here
Subject of the month : Chinese New Year
5th Feb will be a printing demo by Paul Hipkiss at Trimpley. Paul has been to the club several times and never fails to entertain us. His work is much admired.
12th Feb We are holding our AGM at Trimpley Hall
We welcome you to attend to see how your committee has faired this past year and to hear any comments or suggestions you have.
We would like to invite new committee members to join us in the running of our club. If you think you would enjoy helping please see a current committee member .
19th Feb is a work night. Lucy jolly will be coming along to give us some help and advise on using inks.
Please bring your Chinese brushes or if not ‘a good round water colour brush’ and inks,
also some water colour paper to work on.
Shelley will also bring along some books, brushes and inks for those who do not have any, so you can have a go.
Feb 26th is Appraisal night and Lucy Jolly will be giving us some helpful comments on our work.
If there is bad weather (SNOW) and you are unsure about the meeting PLEASE ring before travelling
CLAIRE SPENCER on 01299 405115
SHELLEY WARING on 01299 825477
Thursday 13th November we will be having a Drawing from Life evening. We have some volunteer models who are going to dress up for us, so bring along your pens, pencils, charcoal or pastels and have a go.
There was an excellent turn-out for the talk by Anthony Slinn with many new members and guests in attendance. The talk was very informative and filled in some of those gaps about the progression of art from mid 19th to the early 20th century.
The talk focused on 5 well-known artists of the era and explored the development of their styles and the interaction between the artists of the day.
Huge thanks to Anthony for delivering a lively and insightful look at the lives of the artists and their work.
On 6 November 2014 there will be a celebrity lecture about the birth of Modern Art by Anthony Slinn.
It will be held at Stourport Sports Club and tickets are available at £6.00 for members and £8.00 for guests. Bring along friends and family and pass the word on to anyone you may think would enjoy the evenings entertainment. Tickets available on the door. Bar open for refreshments in interval and after.
Please arrive for 7.00 p.m.